Bario Neal uses 100% reclaimed precious metals whenever possible, derived from recycled jewelry or industrial materials. For more information about the recycled and reclaimed metals we offer, please visit our informational blog.
The Fairmined gold certification ensures that the gold has been ethically extracted by artisanal and small-scale miners who are certified under the Fairmined standard. Bario Neal offers most pieces in our fine jewelry collection in Fairmined gold upon request.
As a buyer of Fairmined gold products, you are supporting environmentally and socially responsible gold mining. Fairmined certified miners are held to strict environmental, labor, and social and economic development standards. They are paid fair wages, work in safe environments, and mine on a small, environmentally conscious scale. The Fairmined standards for gold and other precious metals have been developed by the Alliance for Responsible Mining, which is committed to social justice, environmental responsibility, and sustainable development within the artisanal and small-scale mining sector.
For more in-depth information about Fairmined gold, please visit our blog.
Bario Neal offers ethical, traceable Australian diamonds from the Argyle Mine in the East Kimberley region of northwestern Australia, as well as rough diamonds from the Ellendale Diamond Mine in West Kimberley.
- Diamond mining companies in Australia are held accountable for the social and environmental impacts of their operations, and subject to strict labor laws that are on par with those of the US.
Workers at Australian diamond mines are well paid and receive benefits including medical assistance, insurance, study assistance, healthy lifestyle programs, and more. Under it’s ‘localisation policy,’ the Argyle mine gives first preference for employment to residents of East Kimberley, and is especially committed to providing training and employment opportunities for indigenous people. Most of our Australian diamonds are cut and polished in a facility in either Mumbai, Valsad, or Surat India, and the rest are cut in Australia.
- Many of our Australian diamonds also come with a Jeweltree certificate. Jeweltree Certified Australian diamonds come with the most stringent mining, cutting, and polishing standards, and are cut and polished only in Jeweltree-approved facilities in India that offer fair wages and the same standards for working conditions as EU and US facilities. For more information about our Australian diamonds, please see our blog.
Bario Neal uses conflict-free traceable diamonds from the Diavik, Ekati, Snap Lake, and Victor mines in the Canadian Northwest Territories and Ontario. The mining and production of all Canadian diamonds is subject to the strict standards set by the Canadian Code of Conduct and the Government of the Northwest Territories, designed to protect the Arctic environment, mine workers, and local employees.
All our Canadian diamonds come with a Canadian origin certification, either Canadian Rocks, CanadaMark™, Arctic Ice, Canadian Origin, or Arctic Fox certification. These certifications not only ensure that the diamond is of Canadian origin, but also that it has been responsibly cut and polished in Canada, India, China, or Belgium in approved facilities.
- Many of our Canadian diamonds also come with a Jeweltree certificate. Jeweltree Certified Canadian diamonds come with the most stringent mining, cutting, and polishing standards, and are cut and polished only in Jeweltree-approved facilities in India that offer fair wages and the same standards for working conditions as EU and US facilities.
- For more in-depth information about the Canadian Diamonds we offer, please visit our blog.
Bario Neal offers diamonds that have been resold to a jeweler, refiner, or other agent. The diamonds are then cleaned, graded and reintroduced into the supply chain as a recycled diamond. For more detailed information on the recycled diamonds we offer, please visit our informational blog.
Bario Neal offers traceable Kalahari diamonds that are responsibly mined on a small scale in Namibia. The sale of Kalahari diamonds brings opportunity to the people and communities where the diamonds originate. The Kalahari diamond is the world's first verifiable Origin African Diamond. For more information about Kalahari diamonds, please visit our informational blog.
- Melee Diamonds
Bario Neal uses melee diamonds (diamonds under 0.18 ct) that we carefully source from suppliers who are dedicated to ethical and traceable diamonds. Our suppliers are members of the Jeweltree Foundation, an independent organization that promotes transparency and international best practice standards within the jewelry industry. All our melee diamonds are traceable and of recycled, Australian, or Canadian origin.
- For more in-depth information about the melee diamonds we offer, please visit our blog.
- Ethically Sourced Gems
- Bario Neal offers ethically sourced gemstones that are traced from mine to market. This ensures that every gem has been handled according to strict environmental, labor, health, and safety protocols, and has been handled in a tight chain of custody. Not all gemstones can be sourced traceably, however, and Bario Neal is always working to establish new, responsible sources for gemstones. For more in-depth information on the ethically sourced colored gemstones we offer, please visit our informational blog.
- Tanzania Women Miner’s Association
- Bario Neal sources select colored gemstones from small-scale mines in Tanzania that operate as part of a local not-for-profit, non-governmental organization called the Tanzania Women Miners Association (TAWOMA). TAWOMA’s stated mission is "to facilitate women miners to organise and access required financial, technical and marketing services so that they can carry out mining activities that are both economically and commercially viable and environmentally sustainable and thereby raise the standard of living for women miners and their families." For more information about TAWOMA and the colored gemstones we source from them, please visit our informational blog.
- Bario Neal collaborates with craftspeople on Philadelphia's historic Jeweler's Row who are specialized in traditional jewelry processes. Composed of nearly 300 small family-owned businesses, Jeweler's Row is home to the oldest jewelry district in America (est. 1851) and continues to thrive as a creative and manufacturing hub in the industry. For more information about Jeweler’s Row, please visit our informational blog.